A few years after founding the Real de Minas de Parral, news about the king of Spain, Felipe IV, declaring Parral “The World’s Capital of Silver” were received.
A few years after the founding of Real de Minas de Parral, around 1640 and surprising the inhabitants, the news of the king of Spain Felipe IV declaring Parral “the World’s Capital of Silver” arrived. Considering that 359 years have passed, the people from Parral claim today that their city is actually the “Capital of the World”.
As many mining towns of the north of Mexico, Parral extended its connections with the world thanks to the richness of its mineral roots. The infinite line of the Chihuahua desert and the adverse conditions of the landscape turned the people from Parral into people of great conviction and strength to defeat the difficulties, away from any known world.
Parral arrived at the XIX century to live the most splendorous time. The presence of immigrants, mainly European, which arrived in the second half of the century, had an influence in the habits of the community that thanks to its own efforts was able to enjoy what we know as the privileges of the modern era.
In the final years of the XIX century, thanks to the mining peak caused by the renovation of the silver extraction processes in the old mine of La Prieta and others that were having their best years, the face of the city changed. Back then, several palaces were built, such as the Pedro Alvarado, the Griensen House, the Palace and the House of Estalforth, in addition to other residences of great quality built by prominent facilities.
For the city of El Parral, the XX century meant the arrival of novelties like the tramways, the silent films, the Galeana radio; the tertulias in the Hidalgo Theater and the first tennis tournaments arranged in the north of Mexico. If this is not enough, we have to add that the legendary don Pedro Alvarado discovered, before the end of the XIX century, one of the richest silver mines of the world, which was baptized as “La Palmilla”, an event that allow him to create an emporium to try to make the payment of the national debt.
We cannot leave aside the singular fact that took place in 1914, when don Pedro’s niece, Elisa Griensen, leadered a group of teens in an act of rejection against the north American troops that invaded Parral in those days, as part of the campaign known as the “the punishing expedition”, which had the purpose of finding the general Francisco Villa, dead or alive.
It was in 1923 when newspapers from all over the world released the news of the murder of the general Villa in this city. It’s a curious fact that in 1943, the archbishop Luis Maria Martinez baptized Parral as the “Heaven’s location” acknowledging the faith and will of its inhabitants.
Today, when visiting Parral, it is possible to rebuild the facts in the same sceneries that have become part of the history of Chihuahua, Mexico and the world.